Back in November, Dan and I found out we were expecting our first little one. We'd been trying for a few months and I truly didn't believe the positive result on the test (not until 5 tests later!). I couldn't (and still can't) believe we are going to be parents!
Once we finished all of our big tests and I was entering the second trimester, we felt comfortable telling the world our news. It was the toughest secret I've ever had to keep and when we announced it, it felt like a weight off our shoulders. When everyone finally knew it was so wonderful to get the support from family and friends near and far.
Dan and I don't have many friends with kids (or even married friends for that matter) so everything is all new to us. I had no idea the rules about cheeses (I miss Brie), everything you should put on a registry and even what they do at each of the doctor appointments. I've been able to connect with a few other pregnant ladies lately so it's been good to share our experiences.
When we found out, we knew we wanted to detail every week -- my body's changes, my symptoms, and even our thoughts (and fears!) at the time. So I'll be writing here as much as I can to share everything that's going on.
Starting with weeks 4 - 18...
Now that I'm in my second trimester, I've been feeling so much better. All the books said you get an energy boost, your appetite back and you start to feel a little more like yourself. The moment I hit 13 weeks, I started eating normal again and didn't get nauseous every time I smelled a meal, I could stay up past 7 p.m. and the bloat went away and was replaced by a bump.
First Trimester Recap
- I lost a total of 18 lbs. between week 4 and week 10.
- Weird dreams. I've been out in space chasing my dogs, attacked by killer seals in a beachfront obstacle course and I attended parties where I get to eat all the cheese I want. You name it, I've dreamt it.
- Bloat. All of the bloat.
- Exhaustion. If I was in the car for longer than 10 minutes, I was asleep and I would go to bed around 7:00 PM every night (it felt more like 2:00 AM).
- Craved blueberry pancakes. Dan made me a batch of blueberry pancakes every morning on the weekend.
Second Trimester so far
- Nosebleeds -- gross I know but apparently it's a side-effect of all the extra blood flow.
- Hunger. I just need to remind myself to have a few snacks throughout the day so it doesn't take over.
- Dizzy spells when I stand up too quickly.
- Tight clothes. I'm down to my last pair of shorts and they won't last me through the hot Austin summer. I'll be taking a shopping trip this weekend to stock up on some pieces that can grow with me (maxi dresses anyone?!).
- We had the anatomy scan at 18 1/2 weeks and we got to see our little girl again. She was active and moving all over the place. From punching the tech to propping her head up on her arm and even crossing her legs at her ankles. This kid is gonna have some spunk.
- Sharp stomach pains from my fast growing belly.
- Craving chocolate milk every night at 8:30 PM.
- Only 1 lb. of weight gain so far.
We're also debating baby names at the moment. We veto almost everything we hear so it's a pretty short list right now. We have Avery, Harper, Addelynn and Hadley. We'll see where we end up once we see her!